Sports medicine is a branch of medicine, biomedical and clinical sciences that deals with physical fitness, treatment and preventive care of both amateur and professional related to sports and exercise. It is concerned with the management of medical conditions and injury with all aspects of health and illness that may prevent a person from engaging in, or returning to, sporting or physical activity. The role of the specialty has also developed to include expertise in exercise advice, prescription and promotion for general health and in those with chronic medical problems.
The Canadian Sports and Exercise Medicine Department is fully equipped with advance equipments to prevent, assess, treat and rehabilitate patients with musculoskeletal disorders and sports injuries. SEM is made up of three elements; exercise as a way to improve health, exercise as treatment for illness, and the treatment of injuries from sport.
The work may involve promoting physical activity in special groups such as corporate office workers, pregnant women, those with diabetes, cardiovascular disease and the overweight and obese (both adults and children), as well as managing musculoskeletal injuries, and working with sports men and women on all aspects of performance, injury and illness minimization.
Common sports injuries
- Head: Concussion, Migraine, Headache
- Spine: Neck pain, Lower back pain, sciatica, scoliosis, rediculopathies
- Shoulder: Rotator cuff injuries, labrum tear, Arthritis, Dislocations, Shoulder Tendinitis, Bursitis, and Impingement Syndrome, Swimmers shoulder, Adhesive capsulitis of shoulder
- Elbow: Tennis elbow, Golfers elbow, Elbow dislocation, Olecranon bursitis, bicipital tendinitis.
- Wrist and fingers: Wrist dislocation, carpal tunnel syndrome, fracture and trauma,
- Hip: Hip Pointers, Hip Bursitis, Hip dislocation, AVN of head of femur, Iliopsoas syndrome.
- Knee: ACL injury, PCL injury, MCL injury, LCL injury, meniscus injuries, knee dislocation, Patellar tendinitis, Jumpers knee, runner’s knee, chondromalacia patella, Bursitis, Plica Syndrome, Patellofemoral pain syndrome
- Ankle and foot: Ankle sprain, Plantar Fasciitis, Bruised heel, Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, Heel spur, Supination, Pronation, Arch pain
- Overuse syndromes: Iliotibial band syndrome, Piriformis syndrome, Shin splint. Plantar fasciitis
- Ligaments Sprains
- Muscle injuries and tendonitis: Cramps, Delayed onset of muscle soreness, Groin strain, Quadriceps Strain, Hamstring Pull, Hamstring Strain, Calf muscle strain, Achilles tendinitis.
- Fractures, traumas, stress fractures and stress injuries
- Repeated stress injuries
- Sports Specific assessment and treatments
- Fitness tests
- Gait Analysis & Orthotic Prescription
- Medical gym
- Cardiovascular Performance Enhancement tests and Training
- Exercise tolerance tests
- Preventive Strength and Conditioning
- Medical Strength and Conditioning
- Balance, stability and Proprioceptive training
- Core stability training
- Manual and Manipulation therapy
- Functional Training
- Ergonomic & Postural analysis and corrections
- Myofascial release, trigger point release.
- Exercise Prescription
- Sports Massage
- Therapeutic Taping
- Acupuncture treatment
- Mulligan concept
- Cupping therapy
- Post-Operative treatment for fractures, sprains, strains and joint replacements
- Medical support to all kinds of sports and athletic events
- Corporate health and fitness
- Ergonomics and postural corrections for office workers
- Diet and nutrition.